The Super Bowl is not just about football; it’s also an opportunity for brands to showcase their creativity and engage with millions of viewers. Kia, the renowned automobile manufacturer, has once again raised the bar with an epic adventure-filled campaign that is sure to captivate audiences. This year, Kia’s campaign revolves around the heartwarming story of “Binky Dad” and his quest to retrieve his baby’s favorite binky (pacifier). What makes this campaign even more unique is that it is the first-ever Super Bowl ad to end on TikTok, with multiple alternate endings for viewers to enjoy. Let’s dive into the details of Kia’s exciting Super Bowl campaign and explore the various elements that make it a standout.
The Story of Binky Dad
The 60-second Super Bowl spot created by David&Goliath takes viewers on a rollercoaster ride as they follow the adventures of ‘Binky Dad’. The ad begins with a family of three, including their adorable bundle of joy, preparing for a trip to a mountain resort. However, upon reaching the resort, they realize that they forgot to pack the baby’s favorite binky. Panic ensues as the baby is on the verge of a major meltdown.
Without hesitation, ‘Binky Dad’ jumps into his trusty Kia Telluride X-Pro and embarks on an incredible journey to retrieve the binky before his baby erupts in tears. The heart-pounding adventure takes ‘Binky Dad’ through various obstacles, including a ski slope, a construction site, the LA River, and even a packed football stadium. Along the way, his story goes viral, gaining widespread coverage on national news and social media.
Finally, after a heroic effort, ‘Binky Dad’ returns home to find a crowd of fans, firemen, police, and reporters eagerly awaiting his arrival. Triumphantly, he presents the binky to his baby, only to realize that he grabbed the wrong color. Undeterred, ‘Binky Dad’ sets off once again in his Telluride X-Pro to retrieve the correct binky. The commercial ends with a cliffhanger, leaving viewers eager to see what happens next.
Kia’s 360 Super Bowl Campaign
Kia’s Super Bowl campaign is not just limited to the 60-second spot. It is a 360-degree experience that aims to engage viewers beyond the game itself. As part of this immersive campaign, Kia has launched the first-ever Super Bowl commercial that ends on TikTok. The commercial features three alternate endings, each depicting entertaining scenarios where ‘Binky Dad’ encounters further challenges in his quest for the blue binky.
To extend the campaign experience, Kia has also collaborated with popular TikTok creators to film their own creative endings. Viewers are encouraged to join the fun and create their own endings to the ‘Binky Dad’ saga. This interactive approach adds an exciting and participatory element to the campaign, making it more than just a passive viewing experience.
The Resilient Kia Telluride X-Pro
Throughout the ‘Binky Dad’ story, the Kia Telluride X-Pro serves as the trusty sidekick to our hero. This rugged and capable SUV showcases its versatility and adaptability in the face of unexpected adventures. From tackling off-road obstacles to navigating through unconventional routes, the Telluride X-Pro proves its mettle, leaving viewers in awe of its capabilities.
The Telluride X-Pro’s performance in the various terrains and challenging situations depicted in the commercial highlights its durability and reliability. It becomes evident that this SUV is not just a vehicle; it’s a partner that enables ‘Binky Dad’ to go to any length to keep his family happy.
Behind the Scenes: Fun Facts and Challenges
The making of the ‘Binky Dad’ commercial was not without its share of challenges and interesting anecdotes. Here are some behind-the-scenes insights that add to the overall appeal of Kia’s Super Bowl campaign:
- The LA River Scene: The scene shot in the LA river area holds a special significance as it is where the iconic drag race scene from the movie “Grease” took place. The production team was fortunate enough to have just the right amount of rain to create the desired visual effect.
- The Telluride X-Pro’s Water Performance: During the LA river scene, the Telluride X-Pro showcased its impressive water performance. Even when some of the cars in the police escort experienced fishtailing, the SUV remained steady and performed beautifully.
- The Baby Actor: The adorable baby in the commercial is played by a set of twin girls. Both twins were exceptional in their performances, with one twin making it into the commercial for the opening scene, and the other delivering a pivotal moment at the end.
- The Spit-Take Shot: To capture the shot of the baby spitting out the binky, the production team used a clever trick. They applied lemon juice to the pacifier, creating a reaction that caused the baby to react. Interestingly, one of the babies seemed to enjoy the taste of lemon juice, but the shot was a success nonetheless.
- The Jump Scene: The exhilarating jump scene, where the Telluride X-Pro jumps over a gap, was filmed in just two takes. The same SUV was used for both takes, and despite minor cosmetic damage, it proved its impressive capability and resilience.
- The Choice of Music: The iconic and uplifting classic ‘Gonna Fly Now,’ the theme from the movie ‘Rocky,’ was chosen as the soundtrack for the ‘Binky Dad’ commercial. The song perfectly captures the spirit of determination and triumph, further enhancing the emotional impact of the story.
Kia’s Super Bowl campaign featuring ‘Binky Dad’ and the Telluride X-Pro is a testament to the brand’s commitment to creating captivating and memorable experiences for its audience. The heartwarming story, breathtaking visuals, and interactive elements make it a standout campaign that goes beyond traditional advertising. Kia’s innovative use of TikTok as a platform to extend the story adds a new dimension to Super Bowl advertising.